HERE AT MOSQUITO MARSHALS, YOUR FAMILY’S SAFETY IS OUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY! VISIT THE LINKS BELOW TO STAY CURRENT ON THE ZIKA VIRUS among other diseases AND HOW BARRIER TREATMENTS ARE A GREAT WAY TO PROTECT YOUR FAMILY FROM MOSQUITOES.
MOSQUITOES: WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW COULD HURT YOU.
Mosquito bites are more than just an annoying itch. Mosquitoes transmit viruses and parasites from other animals to humans, the itchy bump from a bite is just a nuisance....The real concern is what the mosquito injects into your blood stream. Americans tend to be less aware of the deadly role of mosquitoes because of many different factors. Still, on average, over 1,000 Americans experience serious illness or death as a result of a mosquito bite every year.
The problem is the bacteria and parasites carried by the mosquito. The mosquito simply delivers parasites and bacteria into your blood stream.
The itchy bump caused by a mosquito bite is your body’s reaction to the mosquito’s saliva.
QUICK MOSQUITO FACTS:
- With a 100% survival rate, a single mosquito can be responsible for over 1 BILLION mosquito descendants in less than four weeks
- Mosquito eggs can survive up to seven years before hatching.
- The female mosquito only needs one blood meal for every batch of eggs she produces.
- Only the adult female mosquito bites.
- There are over 3,000 mosquito species worldwide.
- From WebMD: Amy Flowers, a doctor of Veterinary medicine, points out that the ONLY way a dog can get heartworms is by being bitten by an infected mosquito. There is no way to tell which mosquitoes are infected which makes prevention imperative.
- The highest infection rates of heartworms are observed in the Southeastern region of the United States.